With our slab starting soon we needed to come to a final decsion on the kitchen layout so the plumbing and electrics could be put in the right spots before the slab is poured.
Over the past few weeks we have been considering moving the sink off the island and onto the bench near the window. See original floor plan for old version of kitchen plan.
So after doing a rough map out of the units I had a massive problem with the symmetry of the cabinets. If you looked at the cabinets from across the room, the island would cut the oven and the fridge in half. Not a very good look. So with a bit of messing around we ended up with what I wanted to avoid, which is basically a galley kitchen as per below.
The pic is a little decieving as the island will be 1200mm wide by just over 2000mm long and the back wall of cabinets is 4000mm. The sink would go in the end of the island on the back side (to the top left of the island in the pic below) and the dishwasher is in the centre of the back of the island.
The door way in the pic is to the laundry and about where the wall ends is the entrance to the walk in pantry.
Not sure if I want 2 big drawers or 3 smaller ones on the dining room side of the island.
I also want the overheads to be translucent glass front awning hinged doors. And with less cabinets as per this plan I might be able to get the glass splashback I want in Decoglaze OceanID colour.
We are off the meet the kitchen design company next Sat.
Anyone have any thoughts?

My only thought is that you could possibly have a recess for the fridge between the pantry and laundry doors.
ReplyDeletePerhaps not the most practical or cheapest option,but I think the kitchen will feel more spacious.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. I quite like that idea.
ReplyDeleteI would have to beg the builder and Andy for that one as the current size of that wall is not quite big enough so I would have to move the laundry door back a bit and change the walls to box out the fridge hole.
It would mean I could have my L back and the stove centered behing the island. I don't think people ever complain about a kitchen being too big :)
Definitely have a think about the type of fridge you will put in. Almost all fridges are 90cm wide at the most (there is a Westinghouse 1m wide). However, they do vary in depth.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck convincing Andy!
I am glad we considered sizes early on so we have purchased everything to get exact measurements.
ReplyDeleteThe brand new fridge is safely tucked away in the storage shed. It was on special so we snapped it up.
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/home-appliances/refrigerator/side-by-side/RSG5FURS1/XSA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&pid=au_home_image4_RSG5F
Its hanging out with dishwasher
http://www.fisherpaykel.com.au/product/dishwashing/dishwashing/index.cfm?productuid=1F96D222-A98E-D010-2316D4A5F83EE2B6
and the stove
http://www.fisherpaykel.com.au/product/cooking/freestandingcookers/index.cfm?productuid=224C6FE5-F09D-56F6-600D860EA7B6FA47
and rangehood.
http://www.robinhood.com.au/products/RHCV_900_Vetro_Wall_Canopy
Hmmm maybe I need a new post about all the things in my storage shed. :)