Thursday, April 29, 2010

Happy and Sad



Had a chat up with the builder today and its mixed news.

Concretors can't get onsite this week as they are doing another pour :(

Looking like our paperworks dramas might be nearly over and we will get another update on that later today :)

Need to lock down a final kitchen layout with proper dimensions so we can confirm the plumbing placement. So we are booking in to the kitchen place to get that organised :)

I am not sure if the kitchen people will be able to handle us. As Andy has been working for shopfitting and interiors companies for all his working life, doing both trade and drafting roles. Not only do I carry my laminex samples with me everywhere we also know the exact hinges and draw runners we want. They might be glad we are decisive but annoyed that we know more than the average bear and they wont be able to trick us.

I love it when people under estimate us :)

3 comments:

  1. Sad to hear about the delays with the concretors.

    With respect to the kitchen, what fantastic knowledge to have - looks like there'll be no wool pulling going on in that appointment.

    On the flip-side, if it was our builder I can hear them saying - I don't care what price you can get the materials for; those hinges/runners/handles/laminex/etc are "non-standard", therefore, ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching, lotsa moula please.

    Also, I guess we'll never let Andy see our kitchen as he'll just point out the cheap materials, the inferior hardware and the sloppy workmanship compared to what he's used to ;-)

    Sometimes ignorance is bliss (until the doors fall off)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still trying to convince Andy to make the kitchen for us... but my begging isn't working.

    I am glad we know enough that we won't get sucked in to paying for the $1000 Hafele Touch Latch Senso system for 4 drawers. The builder has allowed us a very tight budget so every cent we are over we have to pay for.

    He wont pick on your kitchen like he does in display houses and if you can sneak him in to check out yours during fitting he can spot any dodgyness for you.

    If prices at the quote get to high I might be able to convince my preferred tradie into doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Andy will see the error of his way and come to the party.

    Reverse psychology usually works, and if that fails, resort to blackmail and deprivation of privileges ;-)

    ReplyDelete